Are you looking for a Halloween project that’s just a bit different? Here on the west coast of BC rain has arrived and this is a great indoor project to do with your children. I wanted to create a miniature garden scene inside a pumpkin. So off to the garden center I went in search of the perfect pumpkin. It’s not like I didn’t have a twenty pound pumpkin sitting by the front door. It was way too large for what I had planned.
I finally chose this one as it’s just a medium size pumpkin and will sit well where I want it to go. It also had to be able to sit on a flat surface and not wobble over. The pumpkin needs to be in scale with your project. Too big a pumpkin will have your miniatures looking out of scale.
Today I had some free time so I carved the top of pumpkin like you normally would. It’s such a messy job with all the stringy insides sticking to your hands. It was time to scoop the seeds out and place them in the compost. Next I carefully cut an opening in the front. Above is the first hole I cut and decided that it wasn’t quite big enough so I made it a bit larger all the way around.
You see, I wanted to place a plant saucer inside for extra stability. The opening was just big enough for me to slide it in. I started to add some moss before I did the photo so it’s a bit messy. I had all my Halloween decor with me and couldn’t wait to try it out for size. Try looking around at your local thrift shops for cute little figurines to use for your pumpkin scene. It could be anything from ghosts, witches and goblins.
I lined the plate with green moss that I had leftover from making terrariums. It was just enough. Ugh, it seems like there is always one more strand of pumpkin goop to remove. I will never be completely done. I know, patience.
I played around with some figurines. I like the scarecrow holding the ghost best. I have a witch but she is kind of creepy. I used the pumpkin rocks I made last year. If you want to see my Halloween miniature garden from last year, click here. I found some artificial fall leaves at the thrift shop this week. I knew they would come in handy. I removed the leaves carefully from the stem. Maybe they could line the entrance of the pumpkin.
I tucked the leaves in around the opening of the pumpkin and placed some extra pumpkins at the sides. I decided to add the witch to the outside of the display along with a few more pumpkins. Not so bad for a rookie. I think next time I will use a deeper plant saucer and plant some tiny plants in soil. I may just add a battery operated tea light in a black pot. Hmmm… I see another trip to the thrift shop. I love reusing found items. Now if only I could find a cauldron. Perhaps just painting the plastic tea light black on the outside would do. That’s my next project.
I decided that my pumpkin house needed a bit more light so I cut a window on each side of the pumpkin. Windows make all the difference! I should have done this before everything went inside but it didn’t make any difference. I have placed this pumpkin scene on my dining room table. If you have a covered porch it would sit outside just fine. Unfortunately here the rain would turn it into mush so inside it stays. I get to enjoy it everyday.
Update: Well, I am going to call the project done. I wasn’t able to find a cauldron but this log will do. It’s a cute story behind it. It turns out the local high school students were learning how to weld in a metalwork class and each made a metal stump with an axe on top. I placed a pumpkin rock on top and shifted things around to make everything fit.